Thursday, July 17, 2008

Left out

For some reason, as I listened to Prakash Karat’s speech on how the Congress was a “sinking ship” and how his other friends in the UPA should get out before it was too late, I kept thinking – “rats leaving the sinking ship”. Not that this ship would have sunk without his help. But, ours is to question why. He’s determined to oppose the deal – not just oppose it – but to bring the government down if he doesn’t get his way. On that end, I thought Jyoti Basu’s comment, that the Left has made its strong objection known and so there was no reason to bring down the government, made sense. Unless they really do buy into this subordinate ally crap; if we made the same deal with China, we would be what?

Anyway it’s the whole controversy regarding the Speaker that got me pissed. As usual, the family sat over dinner and fought over it. My dad said, why shouldn’t they ask Somnath to resign (although, he admitted, they should have spoken to him before they submitted his name to the president). My mother and I were adamant that once you accept the post, then you are not a party-member for the duration of parliament, and they should have respected that. Because now, if Somnath resigns to vote with his party, then all his actions as Speak are suspect of having a clear Left bias. They’ll ruin his legacy too. I hope he doesn’t given to the pressure, and if he has to, then I hope he resigns from the party as well.

My father then said, well what the Left should do now is kill him. Thus ended Kaul family dinner.

(Yes I know, theres where I have inherited the drama from. My mother is a minority!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaah... so your's is one more
'Batta' family which believes politics and the world needs their opinion badly... so they must do their duty over dinner every nite...

Thats so 'batta' like...

egg style said...

Someone... SOMEONE has to stand by principles, no?

It is (was?) what makes one proud to be an Indian citizen.

Anonymous said...

Left was right on this deal all along now it looks