Wednesday, May 17, 2006

up the down escalator

I'm in New York at the moment, catching up with old friends and spending time walking around the city. But I did manage to do something I REALLY wanted to-- I went to see the taping of The Daily Show (Howard Dean was the guest). Dean didn't have too much presence- well perhaps when compared to Jon Stewart- and I was surprised. I've actually seen a bunch of politicians in flesh and blood because of a brief stint in Washington DC which included a press pass to the Senate and the House of Commons.

One of the more interesting people, by far, was Robert MacNamara. Dr Strangelove was going to be re-relased and out client wanted to take some interviews regarding the cold war and the almost use of the Bomb. MacNamara was a total pro. He talked about how the government had numbers on how many people they expected to die and what 'acceptable' numbers were. Actually, everything he said is basically what he talks about in 'The Fog of War'. Check it out, (its a movie). The other amazing person was Madeline Albright. She doesn't seem like she'd be friendly, but she really was. After the interview she took us around her office which had a million caricature sketches and so on, and told us lots of stories.

I don't know what makes an impressive leader but I really do believe the person needs to have presence. They should be able to floor the room when they enter. I can't wait for the run by to the 2008 election. I'm still trying to decide who I'd support- Hillary or Gore (if he plans to run again). I have a feeling its going to be a good one! And on the other side- McCain? Rudy? Condi? WHOOOO? I really can't wait to see!

By the way, if incase anyone is wondering why I called this post 'Up the down escalator' its only because I love saying that line and unfortunately thats it. I don't think it really has anything to do with the post. But its such fun. Up the down escalator. I used to love doing that as a kid too. I'd do it now too but people always stop me. Baah! lol

2 comments:

pepperoni said...

Jon Stewart. The only time I liked that tosser was when he had a pen sticking out of his eye in The Faculty ('98, was it?).
'Twas an average show when it started, but now its just pants. I'd rather watch Jonathan Ross any effin' day, heh.

Paz,
-T.

msultan said...

so at Zainab's house everyone is sitting around, pretty mellow situation, its two days prior to graduation.
Madiha: mahimaaa what did you wear on your graduation?
Mahima: except for a gown..
Madiha: !!!!!