Saturday, October 29, 2005

Surprise? Not so surprising after all...

I read about Iran's comments in the papers, but I didn't really add much importance to it. The countries have been at eachothers throats for years, knowing their history, and Iran's constant insistance that it only has nuclear power for non violent purposes. I'd written a paper in college about how the US and Iran have had a terrible foreign policy because of a series of misgivings. I'm simplifying it right now, but anyway after learning of all the chaos around the comments- the leaders denouncing it et al, I read this on the BBC website:

Added: Friday, 28 October, 2005, 11:15 GMT 12:15 UK
These comments from a democratically elected leader are causing outrage. I am not so sure why as they are representative of the feelings of frustration and anger generated in the Muslim world by the actions and inactions of the west. It just shows how unaware western leaders are of Muslim attitudes. This comment should not be so surprising. Just imagine how Syrians, Iranians, Iraqis, North Koreans etc feel when Bush makes similar remarks.
Anand Reddy, London

The West does seem to forget the passion and hatred that has engulfed the middle east for decades, looking at it from one point of view- theirs. I hope more people can keep an objective mind.

Delhi was bombed today as well. Diwali is coming up and the shops were busy. No one has taken responsibilty. I hope these attacks had nothing to do with our recent nuclear power deal with the US. Pakistan is in too much of a bad place to be involved, and I doubt they'd hit Delhi. Even they aren't that crazy.

2 comments:

Howard said...

You may not know how dedicated the muslims are to destroy all that is in their path..This militant arm has been pumped up by the wahabi clerics and think that if they kill infidels then they go to heaven..even more quickly if they die in the process..A finatical, dedicated, violent enemy indeed>>

mahima said...

I agree with you that the influence of Wahhabism is great, and certain factions are very violent and mean business- but as a national policy for Iran to try and destroy Israel seems highly far fetched to me. I'm not saying it could never happen in the future but just in the context of Iran right now. I feel its talk, frustration... hatred ... but won't result in a major attack on Israel.